Universe is looking for a Chief of Staff to the CEO to help scale its business. This person will help define our strategy, set goals, and ensure that we achieve them while learning the skills needed to scale a company from 10 to 100 employees.
Universe is the world's first website builder designed for mobile phones. Our mission is to empower everyone to build the internet, starting with serious websites built in under a minute. We are a 10-person company headquartered in Brooklyn and distributed around the US, we're growing revenues 20% every month (currently $1mm ARR), and our product has been used by over 400,000 creators and small businesses. We joined Y Combinator in 2018 and have raised $7.2mm in financing from General Catalyst, Javelin Venture Partners, Box Group, and more top investors.
We value individual agency and ownership—which guides our product design and our company’s culture. While other companies offer lots of perks, we prioritize your freedom: work from anywhere, in the way you’re at your best. We believe that an individual’s capacity for growth is far larger than most understand, and we’ve designed an environment to support rapid, continuous learning. Ideas here come from everyone, initiative is respected, and quality matters. We are here to build something special and enduring.
This a generalist’s role that will span core areas of the company’s strategy—product, business, marketing, and culture. It’s perfect for someone is passionate about our mission to empower everyone to build the internet and is eager to grow as a leader, operator, and company builder.
The work is diverse. You'll accompany the CEO to most meetings. You’ll “keep the trains running”. You’ll pursue special projects.
- Help define company KPIs
- Work with CEO to raise Series A: process, materials, and strategy
- Undertake special projects for CEO
- Provide leverage by prioritizing opportunities and challenges
- Create and maintain company budget
- Design cross-functional processes and internal workflows as we’re a process-oriented, distributed team
- Oversee employee lifecycle (recruiting, hiring, onboarding, management)
...everything and anything that doesn't fit neatly into someone else's role
You’d be a good fit if:
- You can work at the highest and lowest levels; thinking strategically but ready to get your hands dirty and answer support tickets if that's what the team needs
- You appreciate creative work and delight in unblocking it
- You’re super organized, you work hard, and you communicate clearly
- You have built something from scratch. Whether it’s another startup, a feature film, or a political campaign.
- You have 3-5 years of professional experience—prior chief of staff roles is a definite plus.
Ultimately, this person will be the CEO's partner in growing the business from 10 people to 100 and then to 1000.
Compensation is highly competitive with generous equity. As our company grows, you too will grow: you will own new business lines, pursue self-directed projects, and come into your own as a leader.
To apply, email [email protected] with your story along with why you are interested in this role.