Fraud & Risk
Universe opens up the possibilities of the internet to everyone. A magical grid that distills the web into simple Lego-like building blocks. With our app, anyone on earth can build a custom website or online store in seconds — without code, all from a phone.
We are looking for a Risk & Fraud Specialist to join our growing Customer Success & Policy Team. In this role you will report to the Head of Customer Success & Policy, working closely with leadership from the Operations, Product, and Engineering Teams to analyze and review a broad range of user activity to uncover potentially fraudulent activity and make recommendations to limit exposer to risks.
This is an opportunity to drive the way we do commerce at Universe. We are looking for an exceptional supporter to help our creators make money online — while also being the go to person to help the various teams at Universe understand areas of improvement for identifying current fraudulent actors and future considerations to implement as we grow our commerce tools. Over time, Universe Commerce Tools will span the full range of commerce types : physical goods, digital products, services, subscriptions, donations, and more - and we want to build a world-class process to manage risk in the process.
You should be familiar with fraud analysis and investigative techniques and possess creative problem-solving abilities necessary to suggest new methods of analysis and prevention. You are energetic, collaborative, have strong communication, and are results driven. You are a leader who thrives in a rapidly changing environment and have well-rounded experience in e-commerce, mobile technology, and fraud/risk management.
Most importantly, you'll contribute in ways we can't possibly foresee. You'll bring new ideas, new energy, new ways of looking at problems. You love the product we've built, but you also see possibilities for how it could be so much better. You'll take what we've got and push us to all new heights.
What you’ll do 🔧
You must be familiar with fraud analysis and investigative techniques and you should possess the creative problem-solving abilities necessary to suggest new methods of analysis and prevention
Prevention of a wide range of consumer financial fraud typologies, with extensive experience with fraud, attempted using digital and mobile channels and devices
You will triage, investigate, and develop means to detect anomalous behavior or potentially fraudulent/abusive activities
Be a key cross-functional analyst across the Product, Engineering, Growth Ops, and Support to:
- Influence and inform security and product decisions
- Perform operational tasks with the Support Team and Operations Team
- Work closely with the Head of Customer
Success & Policy to:
- Manage and maintain our Fraud & Abuse processes
- Determine existing fraud trends by analyzing user accounts and application patterns
- Maintain fraud analysis models to improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Develop short- and long-term strategies for the functional area to deliver best in class resolution rates and experiences for our customers that are impacted by fraud.
Work with the Product Team:
- To suggest product changes to limit fraud while also evaluating new features for their potential fraud risk.
- Recommend anti-fraud processes for changing user patterns and trends
Work with Engineering Teams for system or tool improvements
Work closely with the Support Team to:
- Work with the Support Team to support our e-commerce users and their customers.
- Perform site reviews to assess for level of fraud/risk
- Respond to user inquires as appropriate regarding dispute claims, fraudulent items, credit card fraud suspicious, and process controls; while ensuring a positive customer experience.
- Implement new processes and procedures to mitigate fraud and risk in our e-commerce product; including training and documentation
- Research and identify fraudulent user activity to suspend/cancel accounts from further activity.
- Observe user behavior to identify fraudulent activity such as credit card fraud, fraudulent and illegal product sales, and other activities as identified
Who you 👀
2-4+ years of fraud and customer support experience
Extensive experience with various fraud techniques, tactics and procedures
In-depth working knowledge of Fraud Early Warning processes and procedures
Robust analytical skills and high attention to detail with the ability to interpret data and organize information
Good at dealing with ambiguity and fast moving product roadmaps
Strong analytical/problem-solving skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills; you have the ability to deliver technical data in a digestible format to stakeholders of all technical literacy levels
Ability to work independently and autonomously, as well as part of a team
Excellent time management, prioritization of tasks and ability to meet deadlines with little supervision
Bonus Points ✨
You are familiar with NFTs & the wider Web 3 ecosystem, including the new opportunities for fraud they bring with them
You’re familiar with Stripe’s Connected Account platform
You have worked in a start-up environment to drive policy, procedure, and product implementations